Dairy-free whipped cream is a must for so many occasions – maybe you need a pie topping, layering trifles, squirted on top of hot chocolate, or maybe you just fancy eating it from the packaging (we don’t judge).
Like the vast majority of vegan alternatives on the market, dairy-free whipped cream has an array of options to choose from. As more people seek plant-based and allergen-friendly alternatives, understanding the ingredients, flavors, and textures becomes second nature.
From coconut-based goodness to almond-infused indulgence, this post will take you through the basics of dairy-free whipped cream, exploring the options available on the market and discovering what ingredients are needed to make it taste authentic to traditional whipped cream!
What is the purpose of dairy-free whipped cream?
There are several reasons why someone might choose dairy-free whipped cream but the main 3 are:
- Allergies – Many people have dairy allergies or an intolerance which can cause adverse reactions. Dairy-free whipped cream, which is often made from plant-based ingredients, provides a safe option for those with allergies.
- Vegans – Those who follow a vegan lifestyle or plant-based diet avoid food made from animals and their by-products, including dairy. Dairy-free whipped cream allows them to enjoy it without compromising on their dietary choices.
- Health considerations – Dairy is full of hormones and chemicals we shouldn’t be putting in our bodies. Health-conscious people may choose dairy-free whipped cream as part of a dairy-free lifestyle or even if they’re after something lower in calories and fat.
Common ingredients in dairy-free whipped cream
Dairy-free whipped cream obviously doesn’t include dairy, so what’s actually in it to give it that creamy and delicious taste? There are a few common ingredients to look out for:
- Coconut cream – This is often used as a base that provides richness and a smooth, creamy texture. It solidifies when chilled which makes it the perfect alternative to dairy whipped cream.
- Soy or almond milk – Also commonly used to reach a creamy consistency and doesn’t change the flavor too much unlike coconut cream.
- Sweeteners – Whether that be sugar, syrup, or agave nectar, there will be some kind of sweet kick in dairy-free whipped cream.
How exactly is traditional whipped cream replicated?
Traditional whipped cream relies on the fat content in dairy to create a stable creamy structure. Replacing this fat can be challenging, which is why a lot of alternatives use coconut. Without replacing the fat content, you’re left with a watery mess.
The difference? Dairy-free whipped cream is typically lower in calories compared to traditional whipped cream but can vary depending on the ingredients used such as almond milk, coconut cream, or soy milk. Achieving the perfect balance of creaminess, stability, and taste requires careful formulation and experimentation from these brands, so if they get it right it’s a pretty big deal!
What dairy-free whipped cream is available on the market?
Although there are a lot of DIY dairy-free whipped cream recipes available, sometimes you just want it ready to use like everyone else. No matter your reason for opting for a dairy-free alternative to traditional whipped cream, there’s an array of amazing options available!
Ways to use dairy-free whipped cream
You can use dairy-free whipped cream for just about anything, as long as it’s unflavoured. However, there are a few ways that are more popular than others:
- Desserts – Add them to pies, trifles, crumbles, hot chocolate and more!
- Soups and curries – Fancy something creamier? Add them to your wintery meals
- Fruit – Add to fruit salads for an extra bit of creaminess
Silk Heavy Whipping Alternative
- Lusciously Creamy: One 16 fl oz Silk Dairy Free, Gluten Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative Carton
- Nothing but Delicious: This heavy whipping cream substitute has no dairy, lactose, carrageenan or gluten, just smooth and creamy goodness
- Enhance Your Recipes: Use this cup for cup to add creaminess to sauces and soups or use it to top pies and vegan desserts, or dollop on fruit
Silk is one of the biggest names in the world of dairy-free products, so is there any surprise that this is at the top of our list? It’s free from dairy, lactose, carrageenan, and gluten, which makes it the perfect option, no matter what your diet is.
This can be used to top pies, and vegan desserts, or even used in meals like curries and soups for added creaminess! Each serving has 50 calories and 5g fat.
Califia Farms – Heavy Whip Substitute
- A 1-FOR-1 SWAP WITH DAIRY HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: Use Califia Farms Heavy Whip exactly how you use dairy heavy whipping cream, swaps into all recipes at a one-to-one ratio.
- WORKS IN SWEET AND SAVORY RECIPES: Califia Farms Heavy Whip is perfect for all culinary applications from soups and salad dressings to creamy dessert recipes. It's a dairy-free staple for your kitchen.
- MAKES DIVINE DAIRY-FREE WHIPPED CREAM: Whisk Califia Farms Heavy Whip up into a beautifully smooth and airy whipped cream. Perfect for desserts and toppings, just without the dairy. Add a little sugar and vanilla for a sweeter version.
Unflavoured and unsweetened, Califia Farms – Heavy Whip Substitute makes the perfect multipurpose ingredient for any of your whipped cream needs! It can be used as a topping for desserts but even added to smoothie bowls, curries, and soups.
The possibilities are truly endless! It’s made from a coconut oil base and is gluten-free. Each serving has 35 calories and 3.5g fat.
Mementa Organic Coconut Whipping Cream
- Delectable topping and dip for any fruit or dessert
- Use as a dairy-free sweetener for coffee, smoothies or shakes
- Use for cakes, muffins, ice cream, and Sundaes
If you’re looking for something healthier, the Mementa Organic Coconut Whipping Cream contains only three ingredients. It contains no added sugar, with the sweetness coming naturally from fresh coconut, you can get a fluffy coconut topping in under 3 minutes! What’s not to love? Each serving has 90 calories and 9g fat.
365 By Whole Foods Market – Oat-Based Whipped Topping
- 365 by Whole Foods Market products give you that dance-down-the-aisles feeling, virtual aisles too! Our huge range of choices with premium ingredients at prices you can get down with makes grocery shopping so much more than tossing the basics in your cart.
If you’re more into oat-based dairy-free products, this whipped topping might be for you. Perfect for squirting on top of hot chocolate, coffee, desserts, or directly into your mouth, this is great for anyone on their dairy-dodging journey! Each serving has 10 calories and 0g fat.
Vivian’s Live Again Dairy-Free Creamy Whipped Topping
- Gluten Free, Dairy free, Soy Free, Egg Free, Nut & Tree Nut Free
- Vegan Whipped Cream Alternative, No Coconut
- Top 8 Allergen Free
For this dairy-free whipped cream, all you have to do is add water and oil and whip with an electric mixer for the perfect creamy texture to go on whatever dessert your heart desires! Each serving has 20 calories and 0g fat.
Dairy-free whipped cream not only offers health benefits but is the perfect alternative for those who are vegan for ethical reasons or are allergic. Vegans no longer have to miss out on creamy desserts or wintery soups when there are options like the ones on this list.
Hopefully, this list has informed you of the dairy-free whipped cream options out there so you can choose what the best one to purchase is!