Over the years, we have witnessed an incredible shift towards plant-based alternatives, whether they be milk or meat replacements, it feels like they get better every year. Amongst this huge growth for healthier and ethical vegan alternatives, plant-based pepperoni has gained in popularity.
As Americans, one of our favorite pizza toppings is pepperoni, so a plant-based version is always going to be in demand. The savory, salty, yet spicy alternative of traditional pepperoni caters to the increasing demand for vegan options and offers a sustainable and ethical way to enjoy the same flavor.
Incredibly, a plant protein (usually soy, peas, or wheat) combined with several herbs and spices can replicate the distinctive taste of pepperoni we all know and love.
What makes a good plant-based pepperoni alternative?
Taste and texture
It’s hard to claim that plant-based pepperoni provides the exact same taste and texture as traditional pepperoni, however, it’s close. Advances in food technology and innovation have allowed brands to create plant-based products that both satisfy the meat cravings of carnivores and introduce them to the world of ethical eating.
Plant-based pepperoni is chewy with lots of flavor, and is often indistinguishable from traditional pepperoni, making it a solid choice for both vegans and carnivores alike!
Potential health benefits
While plant-based pepperoni isn’t as healthy as whole foods, it is better for you than traditional pepperoni. Meat pepperoni is associated with highly saturated fats and sodium which can lead to health problems like heart disease. On the other hand, plant-based pepperoni is lower in saturated fats and cholesterol-free.
It’s also a lot lighter than traditional pepperoni. You can indulge in as much as you like and not feel heavy and bloated. Traditional pepperoni is a lot greasier and can make you feel worse after eating it!
A lot of consumers, especially vegans, care about where their food has come from and the process it takes to get on their plate. This includes using ingredients that are cruelty-free, free from animal by-products, and using a more sustainable and environmentally friendly food system.
The ingredients will depend on the brand you’re purchasing your plant-based pepperoni from. However, these are what they’re commonly made from:
- Soy proteins
- Wheat gluten – Used in seitan
- Tofu – Versatile and easy-to-replicate flavors
- Legumes and vegetables
- Seasonings – Usually cayenne, paprika, and liquid smoke
- Tomato paste – For color and flavor
Is it better than real pepperoni?
Although taste is subjective, it is for all the reasons shown above. It’s tasty, better for your health and you still feel good after eating it. What’s not to love?
Where to Buy Plant Based Pepperoni
- GREAT SOURCE OF VEGAN PROTEIN & LOW FAT: Our Toppins’ are vegan, vegetarian-friendly, free of cholesterol and trans fat, contain 6 grams of protein, and are low fat. A guilt-free snack!
- FAKE MEAT, REAL MEATY FLAVOR: Louisville Vegan Jerky’s Pepperoni Bits are righteously realistic in flavor. Enjoy this spicy, savory treat that is hand-seasoned and hand-bagged without harshing Mother Earth’s vibe.
- HOW TO ENJOY LOUISVILLE VEGAN TOPPINS: Finally, the perfect pepperoni for the perfect vegan pizza. Also, try Toppins’ Pepperoni Bits on dips, chef salads, grilled cheeses, pasta, hot subs, and more—or eat them straight out of the bag!
Louisville Vegan Toppins’ Pepperoni Bits are made from high-quality, non-GMO soy protein and boast an authentic pepperoni taste and chewy texture from plants! Each bite is a taste explosion with a blend of herbs and spices that make the perfect flavor of pepperoni.
Whether you’re looking to enhance the flavor of your vegan pizza, sprinkle them on salads, add them to pasta, or even just snack on them throughout the day, these Pepperoni Bits add a protein-packed delight to your day. Each serving contains 90 calories and 8g protein.
- MEATLESS PEPPERONI SLICES: Plant-based deli meat delivers bold flavor you can feel good about
- EXPERTLY CRAFTED: Our sliced meat-free pepperoni is thoughtfully crafted for an authentic look, taste, and bite
- CLASSIC SLICED PEPPERONI FLAVOR: Mouth-watering pepperoni taste with an authentic blend of spices you can see
Field Roast Classic Pizzeria Plant-Based Pepperoni Slices make a delicious addition to pizza, antipasto salad, grilled sandwich, or any other meal that needs a spicy kick. Made from a base of seitan, each slice is crafted with the perfect blend of cayenne, paprika, and fennel to deliver the classic deli-meat taste without the meat. Each serving contains 140 calories and 7g protein.
Yves Vegan Pizza Pepperoni
Cholesterol-free without compromising the rich, smoky flavor of traditional pepperoni, Yves Vegan Pizza Pepperoni is a versatile addition to meals beyond pizza toppings.
It’s flavorful and protein-packed, making them the ideal choice for veggies, flexitarians and vegans alike! Each serving contains 45 calories and 7g protein.
The Very Good Butchers Pepperoni
- 𝗤𝗨𝗔𝗟𝗜𝗧𝗬 𝗣𝗟𝗔𝗡𝗧-𝗕𝗔𝗦𝗘𝗗 𝗩𝗘𝗚𝗔𝗡 𝗠𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗦 – We butcher beans for vegan meats that are carefully crafted with real, whole-food ingredients. Get your taste buds ready for a whole new world of delicious plant-based meals. The Very Good Box is expertly curated by our Bean Butchers to get you acquainted with The Very Good Butchers!
- 𝗘𝗡𝗢𝗨𝗚𝗛 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝟭𝟯+ 𝗣𝗟𝗔𝗡𝗧-𝗕𝗔𝗦𝗘𝗗 𝗠𝗘𝗔𝗟𝗦 – Fill your fridge (and your freezer too) with our most popular plant-based meats! This Very Good Box is the ultimate way to load up on all the staples you need to make plant-based eating a breeze – you don’t even need to leave your house
- 𝗔 𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗬 𝗚𝗢𝗢𝗗 𝗕𝗢𝗫 𝗜𝗡𝗖𝗟𝗨𝗗𝗘𝗦 – Each box includes one (1) pack of The Very Good Burger, one (1) pack of Smokin’ Burgers, one (1) pack of Smokin’ Bangers, one (1) pack of Very British Bangers, one (1) pack of Taco Stuff’er, and one (1) pack of Pepperoni. Lasts unopened up to 4 weeks in the fridge (and up to 1 year in the freezer)
Have you ever wondered what pepperoni made from beans tastes like? Well, now you can. The Very Good Butchers Pepperoni offers a burst of savory flavor through spices and smokiness that you can find in traditional pepperoni.
The chewiness also adds to the authenticity and could probably fool your average meat-eating friend! The Very Good Butchers Pepperoni is committed to taste, quality, and sustainability, making it the perfect swap. Each serving contains 50 calories and 7g protein.
The Be-Hive Plant Based Pepperoni
Not only is this plant-based pepperoni ready to eat right out of the packaging, but it can also be baked onto a delicious pizza, pasta bake, or even calzone. It’s made from vital wheat gluten, which adds a nice chewy texture to it, and the number of herbs and spices results in a savory and smoky flavor profile that comes pretty close to the distinctive taste of traditional pepperoni!
What can you use plant-based pepperoni for?
Plant-based pepperoni is extremely versatile and can be used in an array of meals!
- A pizza topping – Use plant-based pepperoni slices as a topping for your homemade pizzas, or to spice up a frozen one. Pair them with your favorite vegan cheese and vegetables to make a delicious plant-based pizza.
- Pasta – Chop them into bitesize pieces and add them to pasta dishes for extra flavor or a protein kick.
- Sandwiches and wraps – Layer the plant-based pepperoni in sandwiches or wraps to make the perfect protein-packed lunch. Combine with vegan spreads, fresh vegetables, and your favorite sauces!
- And much more – Most of the options on this list don’t even need to be cooked so you could eat them straight out of the packet if you wanted to!
Plant-based pepperoni offers superior health and ethical benefits compared to traditional pepperoni. Vegans no longer have to deal with dry nut roasts and boring veggie burgers when there are options like these around!
Hopefully, this list has helped you make an informed decision on what the best plant-based pepperoni’s are on the market. Don’t tell anyone but we think they’re all equally great!