The easiest, the healthiest vegan mac and cheese! Made with a base of potatoes, carrots and onion, this recipe packs major flavor and is so healthy and creamy. You will love it, your kids will love it. And they’ll have no clue they’re chowing down on veggies!
Our family has tried many, many vegan mac and cheese recipes. And hands down, this one wins every time simply because of how easy, fast and healthy it is!
Don’t get me wrong, the cashew sauces are pretty good too. But they’re not quite at this level!
With the nutritional yeast, lemon and vinegar, you get a nice tangy, cheesy flavor.
It really is astounding you can make such a ‘cheesy’ dish from potatoes, carrots and an onion.
The secret, though, is to save the water that you boil the veggies in and use that in the sauce. That is next level shit right there.
Use gluten free noodles if you’d like!
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE?
Start by grabbing two pots of water and bringing them to a rolling boil. In one pot, cook the noodles of your choice (feel free to use gluten free pasta) to the package instructions.
In the other pot, toss the potatoes, carrots and onion and boil for about 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
Add the cooked veggies, a cup of the water from the veggies, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper to your blender.
Please be careful here as blending hot things can be dangerous! Start slow, then increase the speed. Make sure there is somewhere for hot air to escape.
Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until delectably smooth and creamy!
Pour over your noodles and stir that beauty up!
Add the vegan cheese shreds if desired and stir again until it melts. It may seem like too much sauce. It’s not, the sauce will soak into the noodles!
- 2 heaping cups macaroni
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 of an onion
- 1 cup of liquid from boiled veggies
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt (+more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup Daiya shreds, optional
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add the carrots, onion and potato.
- Boil the veggies uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the veggies, 1 cup of liquid from the boiled veggies, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, salt+pepper to a blender. Start slow, then increase the speed. Please be careful as blending hot things can be dangerous! Make sure there is somewhere for the hot air to escape.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until totally smooth and delectably creamy.
- Pour over noodles, stir. It will seem like too much sauce but it will soak in!
- Add the daiya shreds and mix until melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 633mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 9gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g
LOOKING FOR MORE COMFORT FOOD RECIPES?
How did the Vegan Mac and Cheese turn out for you? Let us know in the comments and click the image below to pin this recipe for later!