Indulging in a comforting bowl of macaroni and cheese is a timeless pleasure, and the good news is that the culinary world has embraced plant-based alternatives with open arms.
Welcome to the era of Vegan Mac and Cheese – a delightful twist on the classic favorite that not only caters to those seeking a cruelty-free lifestyle but also surprises the taste buds with its rich and creamy goodness.
In this exploration of dairy-free decadence, we dive into the world of plant-based ingredients that come together to create a mouthwatering dish, proving that vegan comfort food is not only possible but downright delicious. Get ready to savor the essence of comfort and compassion in every creamy bite.
- 12 oz elbow pasta
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds (I used So Delicious)
- 1 cup vegan panko breadcrumbs (I used Kikkoman)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black crushed pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Vegan non-stick spray (I used avocado oil)
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions. Then rinse off with cold water and let it drain.
- Soak the cashews for about 5 minutes in hot water. I simply just cooked some water with a kettle and let them soak on the counter. Then discard the water and transfer the cashew to a food processor.
- In the food processor with the cashews, add the cheese, nutritional yeast, seasoning, lemon juice and water and process for about 3-5 minutes, or until completely smooth.
- Grab a large bowl and mix the cooked pasta with the cheese sauce, until well combined.
- Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray (I used avocado oil) and transfer the mac and cheese to the dish.
- Sprinkle with the panko breadcrumbs to make sure the top is all covered. Then spray some nonstick spray over the panko breadcrumbs.
- Place in the oven for 5-7 minutes, then switch the oven to broil and broil the top for an additional 2-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve while hot, enjoy!