This Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese with broccoli recipe is easy, healthy and oh so creamy. Classic Baked Mac and Cheese with a breadcrumb topping. Was that one of your favorite guilty pleasures too? We did our take on the classic- veganized it and added some tender crisp broccoli to up the veggie level for our kids. And boy, was it a hit! This recipe for vegan baked mac and cheese is almost completely homemade, relatively easy and super healthy! You definitely do not have to feel guilty if you overindulge on this recipe for baked mac and cheese.
LOOKING FOR MORE FAMILY FRIENDLY VEGAN RECIPES?
What Makes This Mac and Cheese Recipe So Creamy?It sounds crazy, but blending up potatoes, carrots and onions with nutritional yeast and some spices makes one seriously delicious, velvety smooth cheese sauce. Bake it in the oven with macaroni noodles and voila! The creamiest vegan baked mac and cheese.
How Do You Make Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese With Broccoli?Start by preparing the macaroni noodles. Set aside. Add the carrots, potato and onion to a pot of boiling water. Boil for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain the veggies but reserve 1 cup of water from the boiled veggies for the cheese sauce. Meanwhile, add the broccoli to a big pot of boiling water and blanch it for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside. Add the veggies, cup of water to a blender, nutritional yeast, lemon, vinegar, salt, garlic, dijon mustard, and black pepper to your blender. Start slow and be careful. Increase the speed and blend on high for 1-2 minutes, until you have a smooth sauce. Add the noodles, broccoli and cheese sauce to a casserole dish. Mix to combine. Flatten the top with a spatula and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, vegan cheese and potato chips (if using). Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Serve!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 3 cups cooked macaroni noodles
- 5 cups broccoli cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of liquid from boiled veggies
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp minced or powdered garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- 1/4 cup crushed potato chips (optional)
- Cook your macaroni noodles according to package instructions.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil then add the potato, carrots and onion.
- Boil the veggies for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
- Reserve 1 cup of water from the boiled veggies for the sauce.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the broccoli. Blanch the broccoli for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and place in a colander.
- For the sauce- add all sauce ingredients to a blender including the boiled veggies and reserved water from the boiled veggies.
- Blend carefully but thoroughly (at least 2 full minutes.)
- In a large casserole dish add the broccoli, noodles and cheese sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- Flatten the top with a spatula and sprinkle with Panko breadcrumbs, vegan cheese shreds and crushed chips (if using).
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, making sure the top doesn't burn.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Vegan Udon Noodle Soup
- Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes (with veggies)
- Easy Vegan Gravy
- Vegan Popcorn Chicken