Vegan Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate is made with real pumpkin and real chocolate making it deliciously creamy, dreamy, pumpkin-y and full of chocolate warmth. It’s like drinking Fall/Autumn/Halloween in a cup. Pure goodness!
We made this recipe because although Pumpkin Spice Latte’s are nice, sometimes you just want to skip the heavy dose of caffeine and indulge in some pure chocolate goodness.
We highly recommend sticking to the brown sugar because it adds a nice caramely undertone!
This recipe is on the thicker side even though we used almond milk (which is a bit thin) so if you want this even thicker, use soy or coconut milk.
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN PUMPKIN SPICE HOT CHOCOLATE?
First, start by heating up the non-dairy milk. You can do this on the stove or in the microwave- we use the microwave because it’s faster and seems like an easier clean up! Heat till hot, not boiling.
While your milk is heating, add all the pumpkin, pumpkin spice, sugar, salt, cocoa and vanilla to the bottom of a mug. Take a bit of the heated milk and whisk or stir the chocolate mixture until it’s sludgey and no lumps remain!
Once that’s done, add the chocolate chips and the rest of the milk. Whisk or stir until the chocolate chips are melted.
Pour into mugs and serve with vegan whip cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon or shaved chocolate-whatever you want!
- 4 cups non dairy milk
- 4 tbsp canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla, optional
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
- Heat the non dairy milk on the stove in a saucepan, being careful not to burn OR in the microwave till very hot but not boiling.
- Place the pumpkin, pumpkin spice, cocoa, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a liquid measuring cup, small bowl or mug. Add a bit of the heated milk and whisk until no lumps remain and it's a sludgey consistency. Do not skip this step!
- Once no lumps remain, add the chocolate chips and the rest of the milk.
- Whisk until chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Pour into mugs and top with vegan whip cream, cinnamon, chocolate shavings or whatever your heart desires!
There will be small pieces of chocolate from the chocolate chips swirling around, this is normal!
Be sure to use plain canned pumpkin, not the pie filling (although I'm sure that wouldn't taste bad!)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 10g
LOOKING FOR MORE VEGAN FALL INSPIRED RECIPES?
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Comforting Fall Soup (with coconut milk)
- How To Roast A Pumpkin
- Vegan Snickerdoodles
Did you try making this vegan pumpkin spice hot chocolate? Let us know how it was in the comments! Don’t forget to to click the image below to pin the recipe for later!