This Vegan Seitan Roast is stuffed with carrots and potatoes and seasoned with herbs to remind you of those classic holiday meals you might be missing.
Whether you are vegan, vegetarian or just trying to take your meat consumption down, this roast will not disappoint!
The wheat gluten and poultry seasoning is what really brings the magic. If you haven’t tried wheat gluten as a vegan yet, it truly is AMAZING. The texture is scarily meat like. Add meat seasonings? Yikes!
We created this roast because although it’s nice to have the convenience of grabbing a pre-bought vegan roast for the holidays, they just don’t quite pack the same punch as making your own.
The herbs and texture from the seitan used in this recipe are deliciously meat-like (minus the bird) and will remind you of the turkey dinner you used to have at Thanksgiving or Christmas!
We highly, highly, highly recommend making this with our Easy Vegan Gravy.. no, seriously. You gotta have gravy to go with this bad boy.
The shape we went with ended up flatter than the traditional roast shape but you can shape this however you want, just make sure the veggies are in the middle and pinched in!
HOW DO YOU MAKE A VEGAN SEITAN ROAST?
Start by preheating your oven to 350. Don’t you hate it when you forget to do that till the end ?
Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the oil and veggie broth, mix to combine and then knead the seitan for 3-5 minutes.
Let the seitan sit for 10 minutes. While it’s sitting, heat the oil or vegan butter in a pan on medium heat.
Add the carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic. Saute on medium for about 10 minutes.
Grab the oven safe dish or dutch oven you are using and oil it up! Like, really, oil it up well.
Flatten out the seitan mixture towards the edges of your dish, enough so that you can fold it over the veggies and carefully so it doesn’t break apart.
Lay the veggie mixture in the middle of the dough. Pull up all sides of the dough and pinch them together, making sure all the veggies are sealed in there.
Cover the seitan roast and bake for 40 minutes at 350.
Carefully flip the roast and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Take it out of the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving with gravy!
WANT MORE CLASSIC HOLIDAY VEGAN RECIPES?
- Everything Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Gravy
- No Turkey Stuffing
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- 32 Vegan Easter Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp oil or vegan butter
- 1/2 cup potato, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and veggie broth (or bullion and water.)
- Mix together and then knead for 3-5 minutes.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes. While the seitan is sitting, heat the oil on medium.
- Add the diced carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic to the oil and saute for 10 minutes.
- Grab an oven safe baking dish or dutch oven and oil it. Flatten out the seitan mixture in the dish. Gently squish it around the dish to flatten it out but being careful not to break the seitan dough.
- Lay the veggie mixture in the middle of the dough. Pull the sides of the dough up and pinch them together around the veggies, creating a log shape.
- Cover the seitan and bake for 40 minutes at 350.
- Carefully flip the roast and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Cut and serve with gravy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you try making the vegan seitan roast? Let us know how it turned out for you in the comments and click the image below to pin it for later!