This Stuffed Squash recipe has beautiful fall veggies (carrots, zucchini, corn, onions) mixed with green lentils and Autumn inspired spices! A perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners.
This recipe was specifically made for stuffing any type of squash- acorn squash, buttercup squash, butternut squash, whatever you have on hand!
Check your squash at the minimum cooking time because times will vary with the size of the squash. The squash is done if you poke it with a spoon and it feels soft.
Click here to watch a video on how to cook different winter squashes!
A stuffed squash recipe really seems to complete a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. It has all the in season veggies and just screams ‘holiday recipe.’ Even better being a vegan stuffed squash recipe!
HOW DO YOU MAKE A VEGAN STUFFED SQUASH?
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Cut your squash in half lengthwise. Lay the two halves cut side down on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
It’s actually easier to get the seeds out once the squash is cooked. Worry about them later!
Cook the squash for 30-45 minutes. Poke the side with a spoon. If it’s soft, the squash is done!
While the squash is cooking, start your filling.
*This recipe makes 4 cups of filling. Adjust the recipe for bigger squashes.
Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the garlic and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
Add the mushrooms and green pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
Add the zucchini and spices (oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.) Cook for 3 more minutes.
Add the cooked lentils and corn, stir, then turn off the heat.
When the squash is cooked, flip each side over carefully and scoop out the seeds.
Add the filling so each side is heaping full. Sprinkle with vegan cheese if desired and place back in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Take out and serve with Easy Vegan Gravy, Vegan Roast and Everything Mashed Potatoes!
- 1 squash (acorn, buttercup, butternut, any will work)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3/4 cup quartered mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup cooked corn
- 1 cup cooked green lentils
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Gently break off the stem, cut squash in half and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. (Take the seeds out after cooking, it's a lot easier.)
- Place the squash in the oven for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size.
- Meanwhile, cook the filling. Heat the oil to medium and cook the onions for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and carrots, cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the mushrooms and green pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring.
- Finally, add the zucchini and spices and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the corn and cooked lentils, stir and turn off the heat. Set aside.
- Check your squash by poking the side with a spoon. If it feels soft, it's cooked.
- When it's done, flip each side over carefully (they'll be hot!) and scoop out the seeds.
- Add the filling to each side. You want it heaping full. Sprinkle with vegan cheese if desired and place back in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Let it cool 5 minutes then serve!
LOOKING FOR MORE VEGAN HOLIDAY RECIPES?
- Easy Vegan Gravy
- No Turkey Stuffing (Vegan)
- Vegan Seitan Roast
- Vegan Meatloaf
- Everything Mashed Potatoes
DID YOU TRY MAKING THIS VEGAN STUFFED SQUASH RECIPE? WHAT KIND OF SQUASH DID YOU USE? LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT IN THE COMMENTS. CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!