Double baked potatoes are made with creamy mashed potato, crumbled veggie burgers, vegan cheese and topped with dilly ranch and green onions. A true crowd pleaser!
Who doesn’t love a double baked potato?
These ones have an added protein punch because of the crumbled veggie burgers. You can definitely serve these as a side dish or a main dish!
The longest part of this recipe is baking the potatoes! The rest is relatively easy and quick.
these Double Baked Potatoes are a vegan dream come true!
HOW DO YOU MAKE DOUBLE BAKED POTATOES?
For the potatoes:
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Then poke some holes up and down each of the potatoes with a fork so they don’t explode while baking (yeah, don’t skip this step.)
Place the potatoes directly on the middle rack and bake for roughly 1 hour or until they’re tender.
While the potatoes are baking, heat the oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Dice the onions and then saute them for 5 minutes. Crumble the veggie burgers and add the garlic to the fry pan. Saute the mixture for 5-7 more minutes on medium heat.
Set the veggie burger mixture aside until the potatoes are done.
Once the potatoes are done, take them out and allow them to cool enough to be handled.
Once they’re cooled down enough, carefully cut off the top of the potato, about 1-2 cm down.
With a spoon, carefully scoop out soft potato leaving a thin shell.
Brush potato shells with vegan margarine or oil, place on a baking sheet and put them back in the oven while you make the mashed potatoes.
For the mashed mixture:
Add the margarine, pepper, salt, nutritional yeast, non-dairy milk and scooped out potato insides to a mixing bowl and mash to a smooth consistency.
Add 2/3 cup vegan cheese, veggie burger mixture and corn. Mix well!
Take potato shells back out of oven, scoop the mashed mixture back into each shell so that they’re heaping full.
Add remaining vegan cheese to the top and place back in oven. Bake for ten mins and broil for five. Carefully watch while broiling so they don’t burn. The cheese should be a bit crispy on top.
SERVE IT UP!
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 veggie burgers
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp vegan margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup corn, canned or frozen
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp soy bacon bits
- 1/2 cup dilly ranch sauce or vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke holes in the potatoes with a fork so the potatoes don't explode during baking.
- Set the potatoes directly on the middle rack.
- Bake for one hour for large potatoes or until tender enough to mash.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat the cooking oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute for for 5 minutes.
- Crumble the veggie burgers into the fry pan and add the garlic. Saute for 5-7 more minutes.
- Set the veggie burger mix aside until the potatoes are done.
- When the potatoes are done, take them out of the oven and let them cool enough to be handled.
- Once cooled, cut off 1-2 cm of the potatoes (horizontally.)
- With a spoon, carefully scoop out the soft potato, leaving only a thin layer and the skin leaving a shell.
- Brush the potato shells with vegan margarine, place on a baking sheet and put them back into the oven while you make the mashed mixture.
- Add margarine, pepper, salt, nutritional yeast and vegan milk to the scooped out soft potato. Mash until smooth.
- Add the veggie burger mixture, 2/3 cup vegan cheese and corn then mix well.
- Take the potato shells out of the oven and scoop the mashed potato mixture evenly into all the shells (this should be heaping over the top.)
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup vegan cheese to the top and place them back in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then broil for 5. Watch carefully so they don't burn. The cheese should be crispy!
- Take out of the oven and drizzle with dilly ranch, sprinkle with vegan bacon bits and green onion!
Feel free to use vegan sour cream in place of the dilly ranch.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGAN RECIPES?
Did you make these Double Baked Potatoes? Let us know how they turned out for you and click the image below to save the recipe for later!